Sunday 11 April 2010

WET WET WET

So it's only been a day since my last post but loads has happened. I am sitting in an internet cafe with Oliver Kennedy (Mirjam's friend) and Mirjam. Yesterday after I posted my blog I basically went and got lost in Chiang Mai on purpose. I went to all the temples to see some really amazing Buddhist relics and architecture. I'll post some photos when I get the time so you can see what I mean. I met a pretty cool monk called Paul and we discussed what Buddhism actually is and then went on to meditation. He told me about a big meal within the temple that started at 4 and ended at 11 but I didn't make it because of the waterfight which I will go on to talk about after I describe the market.
I came across this huge market about 2 miles outside of the centre of Chiang Mai and outside of the touristy places. This market was for thai everyday people buying there groceries and such. The whole market was probably about 500m by 500m and it was filled with interesting smells and foods. I'd first walk past a spice stall, then a stall with buckets of live fish and although it is difficult to describe it was really amazing. I bought some flip flops and sunglasses and then went on my way back to Tapae Gate where I had stayed the night before.
I didn't really know where I was going from there because I had to wait for Mirjam and Oli to get back from there trek so I was stuck with a few hours to kill and I was exhausted and uncomfortable from my 4 hour wander so I decided to make my way back to the hotel to have a shower until suddenly I got a bucket of water in my face from a little thai by in a tuk tuk. It startled me and I was really confused until I saw the water fight that had started on Tapae corner. To celebrate the thai new year in Chiang Mai the city has a 4 day water fight which involves the entire city. It is definitly the most fun I have had in ages and after the slower beginning of about 30 people in the first hour slowly hundreds of people poured onto the streets with buckets and super soakers and it turned into an epic battle. The waterfight was mainly on the road and the traffic continued as normal with the odd drive by here and there and the much coveted target of the tourist buses which have teh back open and windows. Please note health and safety is not existent in Thailand and the fact that there wasn't a massive crash with the many moped drivers being squirted in the eye was staggering.
After 6 hours of water fighting I went back to the hotel to check my phone to have a missed call from Mirjam. I called her and then left my hotel, thanking David, the hotelier who had offered me a room on a massage bed (everywhere was booked up for the new year) if I couldn't get in contact with Mirjam. I got to the winner inn and met Oli which was cool. Unfortunately the room was 350 baht (7 pounds a night) which was too expensive for my tastes having payed 100 baht (2 pounds) the night before. However I will admit the air con was a much appreciated luxury.
We were all tired from their trek and my trek/wander and waterbattle so we went out to get some food then headed back to the hotel for some much needed rest. We all "slept like rocks" then had breakfast. Me and Oli are going to share a cheaper hotel room for 200 baht (4 pounds a night) whilst princess Mirjam stays in her suite. That brings me to now. Round 2 of the waterfight begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment