Saturday 10 April 2010

At the moment I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Chiang Mai trying to cope with a major hangover and very little sleep over the past few days. My travel experience started in a bar in Heathrow when I ended up having loads of whisky and beer with Richard. Richard is this 25 year old guy who used to live in Chiang Mai and just won 5 grand though the lottery so he decided to come to Chiang Mai to visit his thai girlfriend. He works as a welder and works 6 months of the year then comes over to Thailand for the other 6. He was a really sick guy and I met up with him last night at the roof top bar where all of his mates go. I'll get to that in a minute though..On the plane I was sat next to a portuguese speaking indian mother and daughter on their way to Goa. That was OK although they didn't speak much english so we didn't really chat much except for attempting to learn about each other through sign language, which got pretty graphic when the daughter started being violently sick half way through the flight. I ended up drinking loads because it was free and it would have been rude not to. I slept most of the flight and didn't watch any TV. Instead I drunkenly listened to the "best tracks from Disney".When we landed at Mumbai me and Richard went to this weird place behind a restaurant where about 50 people were crammed into this dodgy smoking area and the air was so thick you hardly needed to smoke. On the flight from Mumbai to Bangkok I sat next to this really fit blonde girl that was on her way to Ko Samui for 2 weeks. She was really cool and I chatted to her loads about fabric and such the like and found out we had a fair amount in common which was cool. Unfortunately, of course, she started vomiting lots towards the end of the flight so that kind of killed any vibe. The other guy I was sitting next to was sooo sick. He was this indian guy that spoke really terrible english on his was to Bangkok with his colleagues for some sort of "work holiday". I didnt talk to him at all at the start but when Joanne started vomiting I made the effort. He gave me his card which was kind of weird but and said if I went to Bangkok I should meet up with him. Obviously I couldn't because I was flying on to Chiang Mai. We landed in Bangkok and I got my first thai redbull which was literally like speed and then me and Richard got a few beers. Richard went 1/2 an hour earlier on a different flight so he left me. I went to the smoking area at my gate and met Non this 25 year old gemologist who lives in Chiang Mai but is studying in Bangkok. He was a really safe guy, and kind of reminded me of Josh Chow. I chatted to him until the flight and then got on and clocked an hour of microsleep. When we arrived at Chiang Mai Non gave me a lift to the roof top bar for free which was cool and he gave me his number so I reckon I will see him again.I got to the roof top bar and met up with Richard who introduced me to his friends who were some crazy people, but I didn't stay for long because I was so knackered. I stayed at the bar for an hour or so but it wasn't really happening. I do remember that the music was really good. This crazy DJ was playing really good dubstep and Drum and Bass but with a bit of an asian electro twist to it which was really sick. I got back to my hostel and slept for 5 hours or so to wake up baking. It was so so hot even at night and I realised I wasn't going to get back to sleep so I went for a walk through Chiang Mai to get some food. It was really quiet at the this time and the only people to meet were mostly thai prostitutes although I did talk to one for a bit. I'm going to meet up with Mirjam when she gets back from her hike later today. That is the update! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment